Thursday, February 14, 2008

Agribusiness Against Illegals

Tim Richardson wrote:

Jennifer Burns jburns@azleg.gov, "Manuel Alvarez V." malvarez@azleg.gov, Martha Garcia mgarcia@azleg.gov, Lynne Pancrazi lpancrazi@azleg.gov, Theresa Ulmer tulmer@azleg.gov

I read and then cogitated on SB1482, Arizona Temporary Worker Act, and all of a sudden it hit me as to what it was all about.

A friend of mine is a rancher/farmer in the Phoenix Metro area, his family has been ranching there since 1919 on the same land.

He has citrus, cattle, radishes, carrots, potatoes, hay and does crop rotations. The citrus is for different varieties. Navel oranges, Valencias, white grapefruits, red grapefruits. Almost none of the crops are ready to be picked at the same time, nor planted or maintained. For some of them it is only weeks between when one is finishing picking and the crop is ready for attention.

If he were to use the provisions of that bill, every few weeks he would have to make a trip to Mexico, to a U.S. Consulate, and obtain workers, with all of the attendant paper work and as soon as the work was over take them back.

And since they cannot cross state lines they would have no reason to stay.

I sent him a copy of SB1482 and asked him if he would use this program. He replied that he had shown it to a number of his friends in the ranching community and none could see themselves using it.

He, and they, would have to make at least two round trips to Nogales, from Phoenix, per month and would have to buy a bus and hire a bus driver with a CDL. The program does not seem cost effective to him or his friends.

Now if I were to start up a temporary help business I could go and get those people, based on the "industry" standard of a shortage for multiple industries, and rent them out. Maybe work out an arrangement where I would be the statutory agent for the business and work on their behalf.

I could collect a fee from the workers and a fee from the actual employers.

As they finished one job I could move them to the next. This way I would not have to make that trip to Mexico, where I have hired someone to represent me at the U.S. Consulate and the true employer would never have to make the trip.

If I kept the numbers up I would not have to worry very much about them deciding to move to Texas and stay.

My only worry would be getting sued by the United Farm Workers Union, who has already have sued one broker last December.

It would seem a good business for a relative or friend of a Senator or Representative, especially one who has dual American/Mexican citizenship.

Just a thought.

Please stop this bill.


Tim Richardson
McNeal, AZ

PS

My rancher friend called me back. It appears that I under-read the bill, SB 1482.

For him to get a crew he will have to make three trips, not two, to Nogales . 1. Sign the people and get paper work 2. Receive cards and go get workers if they are still there and available. 3. Take the workers back.

He said it would be about a three week lead time, which is too far out to accurately predict that he will not have local workers.

He also pointed out that if he gets some of the workers more than one time, to plant or harvest different crops, he will have to pay the background check and card issuance fees each time they are selected. And that adds to the overhead.

Please stop this bill

No comments: