Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Grass Roots Activist Takes On Tim Bee over Senate Temporary Visa Bill

from Tim Richardson


Senator Tim Bee, President Arizona Senate







In my prior letter I stated that I was confused.



I was wrong as I did not grasp the full meaning of the word.



NOW I am confused and somewhat piqued.



I am not familiar with all of the intricacies of the operations of the Arizona Senate. I have just read SB1482 Arizona temporary worker program and I do not understand there being sponsors from the Arizona House of Representatives.



But regardless, I do have some comments, suggestions and questions regarding this bill.



I think it is confusing reading with names such as industrial commission in all lower case, a person cannot tell if it refers to THE Industrial Commission of Arizona or some informal, undefined group.



According to what is printed on Mexican money it is the United States of Mexico.



I believe it is a stretch to create a definition of foreign worker that includes only one country, Mexico. Unless the purpose of that definition was to gloss over that fact in an individual’s mind as they read the body of the document. I believe that anywhere in the document that the phrase foreign worker is printed it should be replaced with phrase Mexican worker



I would think Guatemala and other Central American countries would feel slighted. Why not individuals from other under-employed countries in the world?



And considering that definition of the bill, it would seem to me to be a conflict of interest on the part of one of the sponsors who holds dual U.S. and Mexican citizenship. That would make her eligible for the program and personal gain.



I think that the title of the bill should be the Mexican Full Employment Act.



There is no indication that the employer of a “business” industry has to be licensed in the State of Arizona or potentially in the county and city where the business conducts their operations.



In paragraph D someone who commits a misdemeanor in Mexico would be eligible, yet someone who commits a misdemeanor in the U.S. would not be eligible.



There is nothing indicating what documents are required to be presented by the interested worker, at the U.S. Consulate, let alone who and how the documents are to be validated. Just take their word for who they are?



There is nothing to indicate the purposes that the Temporary Worker Identification Card can and cannot be used for. Could it be used for a driver’s license? Could it be used for a bank account? Could it be used to apply for unemployment insurance? Could it be used for applying for welfare/food stamp benefits? Could it be used to register children in school?



Why is the DES Job Service, Employer Services Unit, not involved? They could validate that there are not individuals, nationwide, who are available and that the wages offered are the prevailing rate for the positions?



More confused than ever.





Tim Richardson
McNeal, AZ 85617 tmrich@vtc.net

No comments: