Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Truth About Getting Kicked Off Facebook

Marissa,

Thank you for responding to my email. It was never my intention to violate any of your policies. But I am curious how did Facebook arrive at the conclusion that I have harassed other users when the only notice I had of this violation was on Sunday when I remotely signed into Facebook from my blackberry and I tried to add Allyson Alma after she sent me a friend request and I accidentally ignored her request. After that I was not on facebook all of Sunday.

You mention that facebook expects real world contacts. A complete review will demonstrate that I added these friends through the use of your friend finder application whereby I linked my email account address book to facebook. These are my real world contacts by which I have interacted with these folks via email.

You mention there is a limit or a rate by which you can add friends. Where is that rate specified? If there is such a rate, why does the friend finder application allow you to add more than 500 friends? Does it not make sense that there should be a reminder or some kind of warning that you can unintentionally violate your policies through the use of software applications you facebook have provided?

Harassment is a very serious matter and a very strong word. I have had no notice from you or anyone else that I was harassing anyone specifically. Why isn't there an option for users to block the person if they don't want to be contacted? I think a third button "confirm", "ignore" or "block" would alleviate this confusion.

Further, I received notice from Facebook that I was adding to many friends too quickly on Sunday and later when I attempted to log in, I had notice that my account was disabled. What was I supposed to do? Does facebook have options to rescind facebook friend requests? If so where is it?

Like I said, I attempted to add friends vis a vis an application that your team provides. It was not my intention to violate policies with a company where I have entrusted my contacts, my photos, my artwork, and my writings. This is the result of a misunderstanding and a mistake, for which I sincerely apologize. I must say I was considering becoming a facebook advertiser and your decision has coloured my estimation of your company.

Do you not recognize that the use of your friend finder application was the cause of this miscommunication? If you do recognize that is such, will you not reconsider your decision and reinstate my account. Thank you.

Sincerely,


James A. Bretney

De : The Facebook Team
À : biz_account_only@yahoo.com
Envoyé le : Dim 13 Décembre 2009, 22 h 28 min 31 s
Objet : Re: Tr : Warning: Your Facebook Account

Hi James,

Facebook aspires to be an environment where people can interact safely with their friends and people they know. Accordingly, we expect accounts to reflect mainly your "real-world contacts." We do not endorse contacting strangers through unsolicited friend requests as they may be considered annoying or abusive.

To prevent this type of behavior, Facebook has limits in place that restrict the rate at which you can use certain features on the site. Your account was disabled because Facebook determined that you were going too fast when sending friend requests, despite being warned to slow down, or because your friend requests were being rejected at a high rate.

After further review of your account, we have determined that you violated our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities by misusing our site features to harass other users. We will not be able to reactivate your account for any reason. This decision is final.

Thanks for your understanding,

Marissa
User Operations
Facebook



-----Original Message to Facebook-----
From: James Bretney (biz_account_only@yahoo.com)
To: The Facebook Team
Subject: Tr : Warning: Your Facebook Account

* Full name: James A. Bretney
* Date of birth (month/day/year ) September 12, 1973
* Login email address aparadiseofbachelors@yahoo.com
* Any additional information or questions

You have disabled my account for adding too many friends but I am using your own software to add friends. I am just very confused on how I violated a policy of yours by using an application you provided. I would like my account re-instated. Thank you


----- Message transféré ----
De : Facebook
À : James A. Bretney
Envoyé le : Sam 12 Décembre 2009, 19 h 35 min 06 s
Objet : Warning: Your Facebook Account

Hi,

Our systems indicate that you've been misusing certain features on the site. This email serves as a warning. Misuse of Facebook's features or violating Facebook's terms of use may result in your account being disabled. Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

Please refer to http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=421 for further information.

The Facebook Team
-----End Original Message to Facebook-----

No comments: