Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mayor Richard Bloom Stonewalling in the People versus James A. Bretney


From: "Airborne Productions, Inc."
To: "sonia.ramos@smgov.net"
Cc: "council@smgov.net"
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: Meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom

Mayor Bloom,

I respectfully request a meeting with you.

At 4:30 pm on September 18th, I spoke to face to with Sonia Ramos, the Mayor's Secretary.  I respectfully requested a meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom.  I received no contact from Sonia Ramos or Richard Bloom.

On September 22nd, I emailed Sonia Ramos, the Mayor's Secretary.  I respectfully requested a meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom.  I received no contact from Sonia Ramos or Richard Bloom.

On September 28th, I called Sonia Ramos, the Mayor's Secretary for 4 minutes 2 seconds.  I respectfully requested a meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom.  I received no contact from Sonia Ramos or Richard Bloom.

At 4:50 pm on September 30th, I called Sonia Ramos, the Mayor's Secretary for 1 minute 20 seconds.  I respectfully requested a meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom.  I received no contact from Sonia Ramos or Richard Bloom.

At 11:48 am on October 3rd, I called Sonia Ramos, the Mayor's Secretary for 2 minutes 7 seconds.  I respectfully requested a meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom.  I received no contact from Sonia Ramos or Richard Bloom.

At 1:08 pm on October 6th, I called Sonia Ramos, the Mayor's Secretary for 1 minutes 12 seconds.  I respectfully requested a meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom.  I received no contact from Sonia Ramos or Richard Bloom.

At 2:47 pm on October 18th, I spoke to face to with Sonia Ramos, the Mayor's Secretary for 7 minutes 7 seconds.  I respectfully requested a meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom.  I received no contact from Sonia Ramos or Richard Bloom.

Again, let me re-iterate.  I respectfully request a meeting with you.  Thank you for your time.
James A. Bretney | President | Airborne Productions, Inc |  1421 West Venice Suite 7 | Venice, CA 90291 | 520 255 4137

A Paradise of Bachelors movie trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVVpwL63OY



From: "Airborne Productions, Inc."
To: "sonia.ramos@smgov.net"
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:36 PM
Subject: Meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom


Sonia,

I spoke with you Monday about meeting with Mayor Richard Bloom over the City Attorney's decision to prosecute me violating the The California Invasion of Privacy Act (1967) and Electronic Surveillance in California (1969).  I met with City Attorney Terry Wright.  He refused to discuss the case.  I met with Detective Soto's supervisor.  We are unable to reach a resolution on this matter.

I am asking Mayor Bloom to order the City Attorney to dismiss the case or meet with me on the record.

The incident is regarding a libelous accusation made by a reality TV actor Andrew McLaren and the Art Institutes alleging I am a domestic terrorist plotting to shoot up the school.  I found such a statement to be an outrage.  I also found Detective Soto's conduct to be lacking discretion and judgment as he appeared to be more of on a fishing expedition than weighing two sides of every 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNO2xVj6So4

I am a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record.  I previously served in the military in Iraq in combat.  At the time of the recording of the video, I recently learned of the death of my friend Jared Ewy in the line of duty in Afghanistan.  I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and am awarded 60% disability from the Veteran’s Administration.

I was in shock of the allegation.  Tape recordings and documentation defend citizens against police entrapment.  Any reasonable person will determine that Detective Soto was on a fishing expedition.
I am previous victim of police brutality.  In March of 2000, Columbus, Georgia police officers beat me and arrested me unlawfully.  In December of 2009, Tucson Police officers unlawfully arrested me.  The word of a police officer always rates higher than a law abiding citizen in a court of law despite police promises that they are here to protect and serve us.
No case law exists that supports Terry Wright's interpretation of Section 632 of the California Penal Code.  If Terry Wright were to prevail in court, the city of Santa Monica would the infamy of prosecuting a comedian for satirizing a police officer in defiance of the First Amendment.  Such a conviction in court would send a chilling effect in government accountability and transparency.  Citizens have a right to taping, recording or otherwise documenting the actions of public officials in the execution of their duty.  Terry Wright's opaque approach to government accountability is antithetical with the highest notions we hold about democracy.  It would also appear as if the City of Santa Monica retaliated against criticism of the city and their police force.  A conviction would expose the City of Santa Monica of an Anti-SLAPP lawsuit (Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation.)  It would also appear that City of Santa Monica is not neutral in my legal battle against reality-TV actor Andrew McLaren and the Art Institutes.  It also implies that the City of Santa Monica is willing to use an Al Capone legal strategy to criminalize an innocent man.  The police was unable to get an arrest against me for being a terrorist but will trump up a charge to arrest me by any means possible.  Such an approach flies in the face of centuries of Anglo-American concepts of justice and fair play.

Terry Wright wants to make case law by perverting the law by which it was never intended.  That's immoral.  If he wants to do that, let him prosecute me on his own dime and on his own time.  The city of Santa Monica should not subsidize his odd legal theories.

I thank you for your time and await a response from Mayor Bloom expeditiously as my arraignment is in a few weeks.  Thank you.

James A. Bretney | President | Airborne Productions, Inc |  1421 West Venice Suite 7 | Venice, CA 90291 | 520 255 4137

A Paradise of Bachelors movie trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVVpwL63OY

Update June 4, 2013: James A. Bretney prevailed in court in early December 2013 when the City of Santa Monica dropped all charges against Bretney.  "This is a victory for free speech only blackened by its belated arrival."  City Attorney Terry White, the same prosecutor who failed to get a conviction against Rodney King's cops in 1991, was not available for comment.  Although it has been said that the taxpayers of Santa Monica have paid City Attorney Terry White as much as $ 400,000 per year in compensation, his employment is not certain.  

No comments: