Thursday, April 05, 2012

VA's motto: We give a shit

The Tucson VA Hospital
If you have never been a Veteran, then you probably have never had to deal with a VA hospital.  If you have never had to deal with a VA hospital, then you have never been on hold.  Let me ask you a question, many of you either have your own business or work for one, do you think your customers would wait 11 minutes on hold for you to get to them?  Do you think your customers would transfer you 3 times to get an answer to a simple question?

We have seen both Republicans and Democrats administer this Administration.  We have seen a grateful nation throw money at the VA.  What is the return on that investment?  I can tell you from my experience what I have gotten.  This is not to say that the VA does not have motivated employees or that VA hasn't been there when no one else has.  Generally speaking, there is a lot of waste and the Veterans and this nation are not well served under its current administration.

I have medical problems directly related to my military service - my combat service in Iraq and "Other Theatres of War."  I called the VA hotline in Tucson to schedule an appointment.


  1. On Thursday April 5, 2012, I called 520 792 1450.  Within 30 seconds of my call, they hung up on me.  
  2. I called the same number again the total time of the phone call 4 minutes 14 seconds.  I left a message at the Sleep Clinic returning their call requesting I make an appointment.  
  3. I called 520 792 1450 requesting an appointment to see my Primary Physician.  They told me I had call another number 520 629 4888.  The total time of the phone call 1 minutes 19 seconds.
  4. So I call  520 629 4888.  They keep me on-hold for 11 minutes 29 seconds.  They must have forgotten about me so I hung up. 
  5. So I called 520 792 1450.   They said I had to call 520 629 4888.  The total time of the phone call 7 min 5 sec
  6. I called 520 629 4888.  They said I had to call LA.   The total time of the phone call 3 min 2 secs 
  7. Called the West Los Angeles VA hospital at 310 478 3711.  Spoke to 3 different people.  None of them helped me but they promised the next person they transferred me to would.  Finally the last person I spoke, none volunteered their names The total time of the phone call 16 mins 28 seconds 
  8. I called the Patient Advocate at 520 629 4924 immediately got voicemail.  Left a message 
the West LA VA Hospital
So I was on the phone for 41 minutes and 5 seconds.  I don't have a primary care physician and thus I can't make an appointment to see a doctor about my chronic medical issues related to my combat service.  Throughout my 41 minutes of being on hold, the VA spokesman thanked me for my service, advertised about the services it offers and reassured me about how much they care about me.

Call me skeptical

3 comments:

Keisha Boyd said...

Something has to change. If I wrote about my experience at the dc vamc, I would die before I finished writing.

Keisha Boyd said...

Capitol excellence is the DC VAMC motto, but they treat veterans like shit. From the top down. Change the we give a shit to we don't give a shit!!!

Keisha Boyd said...

Capitol excellence is the DC VAMC motto, but they treat veterans like shit. From the top down. Change the we give a shit to we don't give a shit!!!