Saturday, July 12, 2014

Did Garry Garret Sell the AFGE Local 1808 Out? - Sierra Army Depot Truth

Sierra Salute
Sometimes you go looking for trouble.  Sometimes trouble finds you.  On October 29, 2013,  I sat in Lynnette Hall's office.  The Occupational Health Officer, Steve Sarian recommended I speak to her.  She is Sierra Army Depot's Equal Opportunity Officer.  She said I had three lanes by which I could complain.  I could go to the Investigator General (IG).  I could file an Equal Opportunity complaint. Or I could file a Union grievance.  

I did not have a high opinion of the Union.  The Union President Garry Garrett was AWOL.  I never met the guy or saw him.  The public face for the Union at the time was a woman named Babe Fain.  Babe Fain is arguably the most powerful woman - person on the Depot.  Maybe even more important than the commander.  She is the Depot nag i.e. she nags you into completing the numerous Department of the Army mission distractions like Combatting Sex Trafficking, Are You a Gambling Addict and Network
LTC Slosson telling us its all going to be alright.
Security Patches.  She is not a very pleasant woman either.

But I joined the Union because after my first week on the Depot. I knew I needed protection.  I talked to a couple of the Union stewards who were surprised I joined.  But they were happy I did when I told them that I wanted to become a Union steward.  They agreed with me that things needed to change on the Depot.  They also told me that the Union had not historically been a positive agent of change


Gary Garrett's Campaign Flyer against Challenger Phil Gonzalez
Lynette Hall, who I later found out works for the Commander and not me, advised me to pick one avenue and not all three.  Her experience was that if I pursued all three avenues what tends to happen is that the complaint gets diluted and convoluted.  I filed an Equal Opportunity complaint against Sierra Army Depot on the larger issues and IG complaints on the smaller issues.

I did look for the Union President while I was on the Depot.  I couldn't find him.  When I found out that Bob Beach and Merritt Shepard wrongfully terminated me, I looked up my union representative for help.  I found this website:



So I emailed Garry Garrett at the email address on his website:



Sierra Army Depot is represented by the American Federation of Government
Employees local 1808.
--------------------------------------------
En date de : Ven 21.2.14, James Bretney  a écrit :

 Objet: Wrongful Terminated
 À: "garry.garret@us.army.mil"
 Cc: "backpay@afge.org"
 Date: Vendredi 21 février 2014, 5h33

 Mr. President,

 I am a Local 1808 dues paying member and a now former
 employee of Sierra Army Depot.  I believe and have
 evidence I was wrongfully terminated.  What are my
 rights and what can the Union do for me?  Thank you.

  James A. Bretney  


A month passed and I got no response from Garry Garrett.  So I wrote him again and forwarded the email I sent to Lynette Hall:


The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE)
represents over 650,000 employees of the federal government,
about 5,000 employees of the District of Columbia, and a few hundred
private sector employees, mostly in and around federal facilities.
 Objet: Fw: RE: RE: Voicemail (UNCLASSIFIED)
 À: garry.garret@us.army.mil
 Date: Vendredi 28 mars 2014, 6h21

 Garry,

 Beach and Shepard fired me and denied me my right to representation during my disciplinary and termination process.  I am a dues paying member.  What are my rights?


 James A. Bretney 

 --- On Thu, 3/27/14, James Bretney  wrote:

  From: James Bretney 
  Subject: RE: RE: Voicemail (UNCLASSIFIED)
  To: "Lynette M CIV (US)Hall" lynette.m.hall2.civ@mail.mil
  Cc: lori.m.king8.civ@mail.mil, heaven.l.owen.civ@mail.mil, terry.d.champion2.civ@mail.mil, lori.k.mcdonald@us.army.mil
  Date: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 9:15 PM

  Lynnette,
  
  Will you please ensure that LTC Slosson gets this  letter?  Please have him electronically confirm receipt.  The letter that Beach finally gave me said I had to address my request to file a grievance to him.  Given the fact  that Beach fired me for trying to talk to the commander and  given the amount of insulation I have experienced in trying  to talk to him, his personal confirmation of this letter is  in order.  I would need that confirmation within 96 hours of the receipt of this email.  If he fails to  email me, in that instance, if you or any of the principles  on the CC line could forward me the forwarded email you sent  to him, that would be great.  Thanks.
  
  James A. Bretney  
I never got confirmation from LTC Slosson that Lynette Hall
ever delivered my letter.

In sworn testimony on June 25, 2014, Sierra Army Depot employee 
Lori King, a GS-12, said she advises managers of termination.  But when 
asked what specific advice she gave, she demurred.  In later questioning, 
this GS-12 admitted to being an over-glorified secretary.  
Your tax dollars at work.
  
   --------------------------------------------
  On Wed, 3/26/14, Hall, Lynette M CIV (US) lynette.m.hall2.civ@mail.mil  wrote:
  
 Subject: RE: RE: Voicemail (UNCLASSIFIED)
 To: "James Bretney" 
 Date: Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 7:17 AM

 Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
 Caveats: NONE

 Mr. Bretney,

 A new case cannot be filed when an incident is like or related to claims in a pending complaint. (MD 110 1614.106(d)) Your complaint will be amended to add the claim against Mr. Manner.  

John Dingman's Friend
Aric Manner
LTC Solosson trusts this guy, would you?


 A clarification letter and your formal complaint form was sent to you on March 18, 2014. Please address the questions and add the new claim to your formal complaint and return as soon as possible so we can move forward with your case. 

 Thank you!

 Lynette Hall
 Equal Employment
 Opportunity Manager
 Manager Advantage Site
 Administrator
 Sierra Army Depot
 74 C Street, Headquarters Bldg 150
 TASI-COE
 Herlong, CA 96113
 Comm: (530) 827-4554
 Cell:
 (775) 742-8243
 Fax: (530) 827-4319
 DSN 855


  
  

 ________________________________ 
 -----Original Message-----
 From: James Bretney [mailto:]
 Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:17 PM
 To: Hall, Lynette M CIV (US)
 Subject: Re: RE: Voicemail (UNCLASSIFIED)

 Wonderful

 Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
 https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android



 ________________________________

 From: Hall, Lynette M CIV (US) lynette.m.hall2.civ@mail.mil;
 To: 
 Subject: Re: RE: Voicemail (UNCLASSIFIED)
 Sent: Wed, Mar 26, 2014 1:50:41 AM 


 Mr. Bretney,

 For clarification, you wish to open a new case against Aric Manner and have an EEO counselor assigned to your case. Is that correct? 


 ________________________________ 


 From: James Bretney
 Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:07 AM Coordinated Universal Time
 To: Hall, Lynette M CIV (US)
 Subject: Re: RE: Voicemail
 (UNCLASSIFIED) 
    

 Yes. See attached email. It is a part of this pervasive Sierra culture against outsiders (ie Vets)

 Sent from Yahoo
 Mail on Android
 https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android
 ________________________________ 

  


 From: Hall, Lynette M CIV (US) lynette.m.hall2.civ@mail.mil;
 To: James Bretney ;
 Subject: RE: Voicemail (UNCLASSIFIED)
 Sent: Mon, Mar 24, 2014 11:31:22 PM 
 Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
 Caveats: NONE

 Mr. Bretney,

 Are you opening a new complaint against Mr. Manner? 

 Lynette Hall
 Equal Employment Opportunity Manager
 Manager Advantage Site Administrator
 Sierra Army Depot
 74 C Street,
 Headquarters Bldg 150
 TASI-COE
 Herlong, CA 96113
 Comm: (530)
 827-4554
 Cell: (775) 742-8243
 Fax: (530) 827-4319
 DSN 855


 -----Original Message-----
 From: James Bretney 
 Sent: Monday, March 24, 2014 12:22 PM
 To: Owen, Heaven L CIV (US)
 Cc:
 Hall, Lynette M CIV (US)
 Subject: Re: Voicemail

 Lynnette,

 Please see complaint against Eric Manor and please advise.  Thank you.

 James A. Bretney |   






 On Monday, March 24, 2014 10:59 AM, "Owen, Heaven L CIV (US)" heaven.l.owen.civ@mail.mil
 wrote:

 Mr. Bretney,

 Please email Ms. Hall regarding your question about Aric Manner and all other questions you will have in the future.

 Have a wonderful day

 Heaven Owen
 Administrative Support Assistant/
 EEO Counselor
 Directorate of
 Base Support
 Comm: 530-827-4233
 Fax: 530-827-4631
 E-mail: heaven.l.owen.civ@mail.mil


 -----Original Message-----
 From: James Bretney 
 Sent: Monday, March 24, 2014 8:25 AM
 To: Owen, Heaven L CIV (US)
 Subject: Re: Voicemail

 So what about Aric Manner?

 Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
 https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android



 ________________________________

 From: Owen, Heaven L CIV (US) heaven.l.owen.civ@mail.mil;
 To: James Bretney ;
 Cc: Hall, Lynette M CIV (US) lynette.m.hall2.civ@mail.mil;
 Subject: Voicemail
 Sent: Mon,
 Mar 24, 2014 3:15:25 PM

 Mr. Bretney,

 I received your voicemail this morning and I wanted to let you know that I am no longer the EEO counselor on this case. I was only the EEO counselor during the informal stage. The informal stage has closed as of March 16, 2014 and you have applied for the formal stage. In this stage, please address all of your questions and concerns to Ms. Lynette Hall as she is the one who is handling your claim now.

 Have a wonderful day

 Heaven Owen
 Administrative Support Assistant/
 EEO Counselor
 Directorate of Base Support
 Comm: 530-827-4233
 Fax: 530-827-4631
 E-mail: heaven.l.owen.civ@mail.mil



 -----Original Message-----
 From: James Bretney 
 Sent: Wednesday,
 March 12, 2014 9:46 AM
 To: Owen, Heaven L
 CIV (US)
 Cc: Hall, Lynette M CIV (US)
 Subject: Re: Assignment of a Counselor
 (UNCLASSIFIED)

 Heaven,

 I called you twice and left a message.  I would like to add this to my complaint:


--- On Thu, 1/23/14, James Bretney  wrote:
From: James Bretney
Subject: Re: FW: Status Update - Bretney (UNCLASSIFIED)
To: terry.d.champion2.civ@mail.mil
Date: Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:19 PM 

Dear Terry,

Thank you for letting me know that Sierra terminated me on 21 November.  As you know, I had no idea.  As soon as I got off the   phone with you today, I called Sierra.  As I cannot trust Mssrs  Sheppard, Beach and Hamilton to tell the truth to save  their own  lives, I called LTC Slosson to find out what happened and why I wasn't   getting paid.  The only phone number I have is one google provided me  and that is 530 827 4343 and spoke to Lori McDonald who would not put  me through to the Commander but instead referred me to Mister Manner  who was EXTREMELY HOSTILE to me on the phone ex: he cut me off, he   raised his voice, he threatened me - the kind of stuff you would   expect from these people.

So I appeal to you, can you get me a copy of my termination letter? Can you have someone outside the Sierra chain to explain what   happened, what was supposed to happen and what I can do about it?  This just goes to show you sir, that these people can't even follow   their own rules, do you seriously think they have the same concern  for  Army property that you or I would have?

You and I served in our military for our country in war.  You and I  know that leaders aren't perfect, but they should try to be moral and   do the right thing. I understand that civil service is not  the  military but the Army still signs our paychecks and we are still in   the Army.  Is this the kind of leadership the American people can   expect from their public servants?

Can you please forward this letter to LTC Slosson and the TACOM   Commanding General as both are in my chain of command?  Thank you   again.

James A. Bretney |
  
         




 It just seems like Sierra doesn't care about you unless you are local.  They discriminate against disabled veterans.  They don't follow the law when it comes to gender discrimination and they don't seem to be very good at their job - whether that is accounting for millions of taxpayer dollars in stolen or missing equipment or  how to talk to someone on the phone.  Can you add this to my complaint?  Thanks.

 James A. Bretney | 

  On Monday, March 3, 2014 5:37 PM, "Owen, Heaven L CIV (US)" heaven.l.owen.civ@mail.mil wrote:

 Hi Mr. Bretney,

 As Ms. Hall stated, I am the EEO counselor assigned to your case. I received all of the emails from her last week. I was in training all last week and today I am going through all the emails and paper work so I can get familiar with the case. I will be in contact with you on the next step we are going to take. Please let me know if you have any questions.

 Have a wonderful day

 Heaven Owen
 Administrative Support Assistant/
 EEO Counselor
 Directorate of
 Base Support
 Comm: 530-827-4233
 Fax: 530-827-4631
 E-mail: heaven.l.owen.civ@mail.mil



 -----Original Message-----
 From: James Bretney   
Sent: Saturday,
 March 01, 2014 8:49 AM
 To: Hall, Lynette M CIV (US)
 Cc: Owen, Heaven L CIV (US)
 Subject: Re: Assignment of a Counselor
 (UNCLASSIFIED)

 Did you forward my emails to her?




 James A. Bretney |  




 On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:31 AM, "Hall, Lynette M CIV (US)"lynette.m.hall2.civ@mail.mil  wrote:


 Classification:
 UNCLASSIFIED
 Caveats: NONE


 Mr. Bretney,

 This is to inform you that Ms. Heaven Owen has been assigned as the EEO counselor for your case and will be in contact with you to  discuss the furtherance of the EEO process.

 v/r
 Lynette Hall
 Equal Employment
 Opportunity Manager
 Manager Advantage Site
 Administrator
 Sierra Army Depot
 74 C Street, Headquarters Bldg 150
 TASI-COE
 Herlong, CA 96113
 Comm: (530) 827-4554
 Cell:
 (775) 742-8243
 Fax: (530) 827-4319
 DSN 855 



 Classification:
 UNCLASSIFIED
 Caveats: NONE












 Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
 Caveats: NONE




 Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

 Caveats: NONE


 I didn't hear anything from Garry Garrett.  In fact I have never communicated with him electronically or on the telephone.  So I went over his head.  



  


--------------------------------------------
En date de : Ven 28.3.14, James Bretney  a écrit :

 Objet: Fw: RE: RE: Voicemail (UNCLASSIFIED)
 À: mccubg@afge.org
 Cc: JSALVEZ@AOL.COM
 Date: Vendredi 28 mars 2014, 6h27

 To Whom It May Concern,

 Sierra Army Depot fired me while I had an active EO complaint.  They denied me my rights throughout the  whole process.  They did so by disciplining me and firing me in absentia while I was on Administrative Leave and by not telling me that this process was going on.  The union on the Depot is weak and I fear they may be co-opted by an out of control management there.  What are my rights?  I am a dues paying member.  Thank you.

 James A. Bretney | 520 255 4137 | jamesabretney@yahoo.com


That day Phil Gonzalez, the new President got a hold of me and finally we talked.  I later found out that Gary Garrett had been voted out in disgrace.  Rumors are that he took over $ 5,000 in bribes from management.  To sell the union so cheaply.

 Phil has been trying to help me but he admits that some of this stuff is out of his depth of expertise.  We have been trying to get District and National involved.  They have advised Phil who later advised me.  We asked them for help during my hearing, they couldn't supply me a lawyer because of the short notice and the government refused our request to delay the hearing.

I had a facebook chat with a Union Steward that illustrates the problems the Union has on the Depot.

July 8, 2014

          
"And say what no one listens."

"lives destroyed"

I have never filed a Union grievance and the Union has helped me.  But the moral of this story is, the Union may not be as strong as you think or you hope.  And if you are a taxpayer, this is the government you paid for.  Are you happy with this level of service?  Its your national security.

Sierra Army Depot has never investigated the incident.  A supervisor on the depot has never been fired for mismanagement, fraud, theft or embezzlement.
LTC Slosson
Commanding Officer
Sierra Army Truth

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beware of one off the stewards now. Crystal Mcentire is her name.She has no personal boundries or respect for other people's realationships nor does she posses any professional skills at all. She is very promiscuous and a heavy drinker . Her conduct is an embarrassment to local 1808. She behaves poorly at all Union & Depot events. The Peyton Place attitude is one of the major issues on base yet this particular steward is a major contributer to the problem. Would you want her for a steward? Her drinking & sexual prowness at Union and Depot events are appalling. and borders on sexual harassment. The girlfriends & wives of the men on base have the right to know the she is not to be trusted with any man due to her aggressive sexual behavior towards the men she comes in contact with while acting as a Union Steward, working at SAID or at any base/ union functions.

James A. Bretney said...

I publish under my own name. You should publish yours especially if you are going to publicly attack a woman. Even Roxane Lamb agrees with me.

Matthew Sturm said...

I would like to tell the person that made these unfounded comments, you are a coward, if you are not willing to offer your name, your character is in question. If you do not offer facts to your statements then you need to stop any and all comments. Cowards live in the shadows and whisper lies into the ears of other weak character people like yourself. Now Coward show yourself or just fade away with your lies into the nothingness that is you.

Matthew Sturm said...

I guess Mr. Bretney only wants to show hate and not possibility of the truth.

James A. Bretney said...

What do you mean Matt?

Doug Ohotto Jr said...

SIAD KICKED ME WHEN I WAS DOWN. I ASKED FOR HELP CONCERNING MY DRUG/ALCOHOL ADDICTION. I WISH THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN HELP FOR ME WHEN I NEEDED IT. REHAB SAVED ME BUT SIAD HAD NO TIME OR UNDERSTANDING FOR THAT. I GAVE MY HEART AND SOUL TO SIAD, LIFE ISN'T THE SAME WITHOUT CIVIL SERVICE. GOD BLESS OUR WARFIGHTERS!

Doug Ohotto Jr said...

P.S. ADCO IS A JOKE. THERE IS A REAL WORLD OUT THERE. ADAPT. I EVEN TRIED TO GET VOL TESTING TO HELP HOLD MYSELF ACCOUNTABLE. THATS SAD WHEN YOU WANT AND NEED HELP SO BAD THAT YOU HAVE TO GET CREATIVE EVEN IN FEAR OF LOOSING YOUR JOB. AND JUST FOR THE RECORD: THERE IS HELP FOR PEOPLE WHO FACE REAL LIFE CHALLENGES, YOU JUST WON'T FIND IT IN LASSEN COUNTY. I KNOW SO MANY PEOPLE WHO WORK THERE STILL, THAT HAVE NO HOPE FOR A FUTURE BECAUSE SIAD'S INABILITY TO UNDERSTAND OR HELP WILL EVENTUALLY CHEW THEM UP AND SPIT THEM OUT. BETTER OFF LIVING A LIE AND EEK OUT AN EXISTANCE PAYCHECK TO STRUNG OUT PAYCHECK THEN LOOK FOR HELP THAT ISN'T THERE AND GET A BAD NAME FOR YOURSELF IN THE PROCESS. I TOLD ALL MY BOSS/ DIRECTOR'S. = $#¡T ON AND NO HELP. I MISS ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE/THE BACK BONE OF SIERRA. YOU HEAR ME PLATE REPAIR! KEEP UP THE FIGHT FOR OUR TROOPS! MANAGEMENT (GS-11 +)... UM, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK? OHOTTO OUT.

Doug Ohotto Jr said...

oh yea what union? they never responded...