Saturday, August 01, 2015

Cleopatra Coleman is my Whistleblower

A whistleblower forwarded me some documents I wanted to share.  Roger Conn wrote this about her.  Not wishing to name her I am naming her Cleopatra Coleman - a black actress from Australia.  We know how much Sierra Army Depot loves black people.



TASI-MNN-S

28 August 2013

MEMORANDUM FOR:  Whom It May Concern, 

SUBJECT:  Treatment of Cleopatra Coleman 

I have to start this statement by saying that today I submitted my resignation from Sierra Army Depot.  My resignation was in no small part a result of the way Cleopatra Coleman was treated by her leadership and how that treatment spilled over onto me. I came to Sierra Army Depot at the same time as Cleopatra Coleman in November of 2009.  We did not work together until we were both moved to NS-E.  I believe I got there first around May of 2010 and Cleopatra Coleman came shortly after that.  Cleopatra Coleman and I worked together in the storage area of NS-E for an extended period of time perhaps 18 months.  Initially we were coworkers because even though I was the only actual wage leader in the building I was assigned to work for up and coming young material handlers who technically I out ranked.  Since I am retired from the army and have no concern with working my way to the top I accepted this with only a comment to leadership that I was capable and willing to work as a Lead if they ever needed me but will gladly help out the young folks they had assigned over me.  This personnel situation puzzled me but I never complain because I was new to the organization. 

I began to see obvious signs of the leaders in the building treating Cleopatra Coleman different from other employees soon after we started working together. Cleopatra Coleman is a smart and gifted women and does not suffer fools well. She was quick to challenge leadership if they were making ill educated choices. One case in particular I remember was early on in the NS-E formulative stage when we were just beginning to process equipment in the storage area all of us were called into the office of the supervisor Dave Gard and he began to sternly chastise use for our production numbers. We had stored everything we received that day and Cleopatra Coleman upset Dave when she insisted that if you are sent 20 items during the course of the day to process and you process 20 items then the problem is not with our production but with inability to get enough material to us.  We were all flabbergasted that Dave could not understand that you can only process what you receive in but he clearly took offense to Cleopatra Colemans comments.  

Dave Gard left. Slosson middle
The first time I remember a problem with the leadership was when Jeff Holmes who became our supervisor made some derogatory comments about the size of her rear end. He did this in my presence and I took him to task on it. 

When I did become Cleopatra Colemans Lead I had some problems with her but always felt she was one of the best, smartest, most productive workers I had by a large margin and worked with her to improve our working relationship which in the end was excellent.  Jeff Holmes and Riley Junk along with Dave Gard continuously treated Cleopatra Coleman harsher than anyone else. There could be several people on their phone at any given time and they would pick her out and talk to her about it and not talk to the others.
There is no sexual harassment on the Sierra Army Depot
Eventually Jeff Holmes would come to me and counsel me for enabling Cleopatra Coleman if he saw me with her when she was on the phone. This despite the fact that she might not be on the phone for several days but if she was seen even once he jumped me even though there might have been worse offenders that I was never told to address.  I remember one particularly egregious incident where we had been talked to about coming from break on time and Cleopatra Coleman was written up for being 2 minutes late even as other employees came into the building after her and were not written up. Cleopatra Coleman made several recommendations that were either ignored or fought by management even though individuals who later made  same recommendation were publicly praised for their ideas. One case in particular was laminating our placards.  Cleopatra Coleman made some test cases applied them and was told it was too expensive and yet when another employee brought up the exact same idea she was called out in our CSI meeting for her great idea which was then implemented with great success. 

Convicted felon no Sierra Army Depot
manager Don Yancey, Riley Junk
and Dave Gard
Cleopatra Coleman was the prime mover in making the modification to our process that allowed us to better isolate the location of problem items.  This recommendation was completely ignored when she brought it up to her immediate leadership but she brought it up when a senior leader was in the building and he recommend we try it. Eventually despite the fighting of Jeff Holmes the idea was put into play and became a huge success. 

I could go on and on but for the sake of brevity I will only include a few  more items. One that really bothered me was when Cleopatra Coleman was sent out of our building because she was talking on her phone as she walked to and from the bathroom and for going to the bathroom too often (even though she was pregnant)  I commented to the lead from 303 north Chris Sabatino that  I thought it was particularily harsh punishment He told me that “you have to understand Jeff Holmes has a “hard on” for Cleopatra Coleman and is going to get her for something sooner or later.” I asked him how he knew that and he said Jeff had told him that. The another  incident I want to mention is that I got written up because I loaned my car for Cleopatra
Coleman to leave work sick one day (she was in a carpool so could take the van home) and because my lunch was in the car I went to the car with her so I could get my lunch. I got written up because she could have brought it to me.  Other leaders and supervisors were always outside smoking or chatting with friends and of course never got written up or even talked to about such things.  It was blatantly obvious it was because it was related to Cleopatra Coleman. And finally a MFR was written on another occasion because I took her to her to her building in her car.  She and I had gone to a meeting together in her car and she asked me to take her to her building so I could take the car back and park it at my building because that was the first stop where the driver of the van was. I was knocked out by the absurdity of this. And let me finish by saying that recently I was told by my boss that he had be directed by John Dingman to talk to me about coming in to Cleopatra Coleman's building and talking to her for hours. In fact I talked to her before I came to work and I was never there for more than 10 minutes because I had to get to work and only came in a few minutes early. I told my boss that I wanted to know the name of the individual who told John Dingman that and my boss simply said it was “water under the bridge”.
This is only a small sampling of some of the things I have seen.



      Roger Conn
      MEI Supervisor
      R&R Operations
    530-827-5336












No comments: